Everyone knows it is essential for children to have a healthy, varied diet. However it seems for the majority of parents have children who are picky eaters. This can be a great source of stress for parents. The main thing is that they are eating something and are growing at a normal rate.
Top Tips To Get Your Children To Eat More Healthily
- Hide the vegetables in sauce. For example, if your child loves spaghetti bolognese whizz up some extra veg and hide it in the sauce. Your kids won’t notice we promise.
- As a parent, smoothies and juices are your friend so treat them well. Pack your child’s smoothies with fruits and vegetables they normally won’t eat. There are also great super foods out there that come in powder form – we love Bioglan! These are great to mask any tastes so the fruit goes undetected.
- Include your child in the cooking process, if they feel a part of it there is more chance they will eat it! Compliment them on their hard work and make a bit of a fuss – what child can resist that!
- Watch cooking programmes with your child. It will help them develop an interest in food and who can resist the freshly prepared chef creations you see on TV. With a bit of luck they will want to try it themselves!
- Purchase kid friendly cookbooks for meal ideas picky eaters will love
- Do not let your child have treats if they refuse their dinner – they will fill up on sugar just before bed which is a recipe for disaster also
A little more guidance…
- Ask other parents – every parent has a tip or trick that helped them along the way. Sharing experiences with other parents are a great source of support in times of crisis.
- Most of all relax, as long as your child is eating and growing normally there is little to worry about and treat this as a phase that your child will soon grow out of!
- Ask medical professionals for their advice – if you are particularly worried about your child’s diet perhaps arrange for a blood test to be performed. You will see if your child is deficient in any key nutrients.
- If you are really concerned, children specific multivitamins is an easy way of ensuring your child has their recommended daily allowance of nutrients.